Benefits of regular Walking
- gives you more energy
- makes you feel good
- makes you look better
- helps you sleep better
- increase your stamina
- helps you manage stress
- tones your muscles
- burns up calories
- improves your mobility at any age
- strengthens your heart
- lowers your blood pressure
- reduces your cholesterol
- protects against osteoporosis and
- reduces the risk of developing diabetes
If you can only walk for a couple of minutes and then you need to rest that's OK. Where you start from isn't important - it's where you're going that counts!
Try to walk on most days of the week - start with a 10-minute walk and gradually increase the time spent walking. Don't overdo it on the first attempt. If very unfit start by walking every other day. Build it up bit-by-bit and set realistic goals.
To obtain health benefits a 30-minute walk daily is all that is needed. This can be broken down into 3 sessions of 10 minutes - that’s just as good.
How to fit 30 minutes walking into a busy day!
- Think before you drive less than a mile - walk to the local shop or post box
- Get off the bus a stop earlier
- Park the car further away from the supermarket
- Walk the children to school - walk at a fairly fast pace once you are on your own on the way back
- Take the stairs instead of the lift
- Go on foot. If you normally drive to see a friend who lives nearby, walk instead
- Enjoy a walking lunch - walk to the park and eat your sandwiches
- Walk to the shops the long way
- Throw away the remote control!