What is Buntús ?
Download the Buntús Start Flyer
For information on the Buntús Programme for Pre-School Children...
Waterford Sports Partnership and the Irish Sports Council recognise the major role that sport and physical activity can play in the lives of young people. It is important that an enjoyable multi-sport and
non-competitive model is used to introduce our children to sport and physical activity complementing and enhancing both our school and community sport programmes.
How will Buntús benefit schools?
- Buntús Play and Buntús Multi Sport are two new exciting programmes developed to support teachers in introducing young people to sport and helping to develop their interest in physical activity.
- The three key components of the programme training, resource cards and equipment are designed to provide easy to understand and accessible support to give children a fun but high quality introduction to a variety of sporting activities.
- The Buntús programme for schools is being locally delivered and supported through the Waterford Sports Partnership.
- To date 54 primary schools throughout Waterford have received the Buntús Programme and we plan to introduce the programme to all schools in the County by the end of 2005.
- The teacher training is critical to the success of the programme and all the teachers in a school are asked to attend the training. This helps ensure that Buntús is delivered to every class in the school resulting in more children enjoying the benefits of broad skill development through Buntús.
How do children benefit ?
- Offers quality, child-centred equipment, resources and training.
- Raises the profile of physical education and sport in the schools.
- Improves physical education training opportunities for teachers.
- Provides alternative enjoyable and meaningful activity for children.
- Supports the delivery of the National Curriculum.
Waterford Sports Partnership and Buntús
- Develop new broad-based sporting skills.
- Learn and develop life skills.
- Use sport for development of physical, mental and social health and wellbeing.
- Develop the lifelong habit of physical activity for healthy living.
- Have fun and enjoyment !
- In addition to delivering the initial teacher training and delivering the equipment and resource cards to the teachers, Waterford Sports Partnership offers ongoing support to the Programme.
- 'Buntús Refresher' classes are offered to all Buntús schools.
- Sports Specific Buntús Programmes such as the FAI Buntús Programme are also offered to schools trained with the generic Buntús programme.