Assistant Swim Teachers Certificate - (Swimming for People with Disabilities)
The Teacher Certificate (Swimming for people with disabilities) will be held over approx 25-30 hours.
This course is open to parents of children with a disability, disability organisation staff and other
relevant persons. The course will equip you with:
- The basic technical knowledge;
- Health and safety in the pool environment;
- Knowledge and skills to assist in conducting a session;
- Effective communication;
- Methods of motivation.
What skills you will need:
For this course it is important to feel comfortable in the water and to have some swimming skills. This course will involve theory sessions, water skill development and some additional home based study.
Who should take part in this course:
- If you are currently a swimming instructor who would like the skills to become more inclusive.
- If you are a parent of a child with a disability, are comfortable in the water and have some basic swimming skills.
- If you are currently working with people with disabilities, have basic swimming skills and would like to improve your teaching skills to work with people in the water.
- If you have swimming knowledge and skills and would like to become a volunteer for a disability swim group.
If you feel that the assistant swim teachers’ course is too intense why not start off with the helpers’ course to develop your skills and confidence. (see other section).
If you would like more information on this course please contact:
Katie Kelly, Sports Inclusion Development Officer by email or phone: (051) 849757